About Me

My photo
I love expressing heart-felt and inspired words that come unseen at times, yet powerful and profound within.
Enlightenment, in between the lines.

As you will find, I truly believe in the divine power of Gratitude. And how, by that power, it can change lives.

This journey of blogging has been an adventure!
And I'm so glad you stopped by for a quick visit : )

Monday, January 25, 2010

~ When We Were Young ~



When I was young, we lived in the best neighborhood in the universe! 
Every single house on both sides of the street - except maybe 3 - had kids all around the same age as each of us.  My best friend - Buffy - (nickname) lived only 5 houses down and we were attached at the hip, every single second! Her telephone number was almost identical to mine - only 1 digit off.  We rode our bikes every day after school and during the summer up and down Lehman Ave., in - around - and thru - the adjacent field, which had the best bike trails for a kid immaginable. 

We played Barbies, made up dances, played board games, the piano, went swimming, ran thru the sprinklers, went "snipe hunting," listened to the latest music, and one of my most fond memories was playing Hide-n'Seek with all the neighborhood kids on the street. 
It would last for hours and was pure unlimited fun. 

On hot days we (with my brothers) would hook up the Slip-n'Slide on our steep front lawn and slide down, then walk back up the super steep hill - over and over again until we could no longer move.  We would play "Mother May I" - "Simon Says"  - and "Twister" for hours. 
During the winter when it snowed, sleigh riding in the nearby park, became our best-loved activity for the season.  As I mentioned in my previous post, during the summer months we would all sprawl out on our back, on the nice cool grass facing the heavens, and imagine what shapes the clouds were creating just for us, right down in our own little simple, joyful world. Ahhhhh ... t'was utter bliss as a child. 

Emotions of simplicity, no worries, and just plain joy, resurface now with a sort of homesick feeling, and a longing for those carefree days and "who" I was back then.

I sometimes wonder -  if I had the chance to meet my 8-year old self ... what would she say to me and what would I say to her?  Would she remind me to always have fun in life?  To never forget what it's like to be a kid, so that I can better understand my own kids someday?  Would she tell me she's worried about what's going to happen in the future?  How about to always remember the delightful times, when life gets me down?  I wonder if she would tell me to never stop playing Hide n' Seek, even when I'm all grown up because it was such a fun time when I was young, that I will always have that memory? Would she remind me, that she - in her 8 years of life - knows without a shadow of a doubt that God loves me no matter what?  ....

What would I say to her?  Would I tell her that even when life seems unfair, or scary, that everything always works out in the end? 
Would I remind her to have Faith at all times?  Would I express the importance and the significance of enjoying being young, and to not worry so much about growing up too quickly? To never let fear keep her from doing things in life? How about, to always be true to herself - no matter what her friends say or think about her?  Would I snuggle her close, give her a hug and tell her I love her? And would I tell her to always remember that she knows without a shadow of a doubt that God loves her no matter what, and that she can always turn to Him for anything at anytime - even when she feels completely alone? 

Today, remember what it was like being young - being 8.  What sort of things brought you joy?  Where is that 8 year old today?  He/She is still within ... nestled in the deepest corners of your being, just waiting to be found once again.  Bring him/her to the surface - and reminisce. 
Write your memories down, share them with your own kids - family - friends.  Remember the joy and awaken it, even amongst all the chaos in your life today.  Do something from your memory and welcome it back into your heart. ♥

Tag!! You're it!! : )

p.s... Ha!  "The dessert!!" hahaha  ... One of my very beautiful and brilliant friends just responded to my FB post and said that she
"every once in a while, I will write a letter to myself, usually my 5 year old self. I've created a very warm relationship with that girl, I give her hugs and lots of love." 

OMGoodness - isn't that just touching?!!  I absolutely love it.  So!! 
The challenge from this post today is to do just what she mentioned.  Write a letter to yourself - your young age.  See what comes out on paper and reveals itself back to you.  It could be quite illuminating,
healing and life-changing.  Take the journey ........


No comments: