About Me

My photo
I love expressing heart-felt and inspired words that come unseen at times, yet powerful and profound within.
Enlightenment, in between the lines.

As you will find, I truly believe in the divine power of Gratitude. And how, by that power, it can change lives.

This journey of blogging has been an adventure!
And I'm so glad you stopped by for a quick visit : )

Saturday, January 23, 2010

~ Live In The Moment ~




This morning my son seemed a little agitated as he went thru the kitchen, mumbling and complaining about everything in front of him the moment he woke up.  I asked him why he was in such a "wonderful" mood - he had JUST woken up!! ... and he replied: "Because it's been raining all week long.  Now it's sunny, but just for today because tomorrow it's supposed to start raining again!"  I kind of laughed and said: "Well, then enjoy today - be in the moment of today while it last's and while it is here.  Don't worry about tomorrow.  Enjoy the now." 
I think he understood this amazing logic, because it finally silenced him!  And that is quite a feat for a 17 year old!  : )

It reminds me of a quote that I've heard before and goes like this:

"Daydreaming of the past and longing for the future may provide comfort but will not take the place of living in the present." - Thomas S. Monson

Living or Being in the moment can sometimes be challenging.  It is for me when I unconsciously go about my day - hustling and bustling to and fro - here and there.  It's easy to get caught up in what lies ahead in the future as the moment right before you is passing you by.  Of course we need to "plan" for the future - but not dwell on it.  Living in the moment can truly bring utter joy.  It's like magic, as it allows you to be joyful with those around you!  : )

I remembered - just before typing out this post for today - something I use to do quite often.  A little exercise of being in the moment.  You can try this anywhere you are.  Can be in the mountains, at the beach, poolside, in solitude, in your home - car - with your family - wherever.  What I would do to get myself in the moment is close my eyes and try to focus how many things around me I could hear all at the same time.  Then I would concentrate on what I am feeling, (temperature - mood etc), and finally the scents around me.  It's so interesting when you really focus in on the moment right before you, how much you can pick up with merely your senses!  Try it sometime - it's actually pretty cool.

So, why be in the moment?  Well, I've found that when I am - I really have a sense of complete joy.  Whoever is around me, wherever I am - if I stay focused on that ... joy is truly my companion.  Not only that, worrying about the future before it even gets here, or dwelling on the past that has already passed by, will do you no good whatsoever.  Fear steps in and takes over.  Now what good comes from that?

Take it moment by moment and live in it.  Listen to the laughter of children around you.  The wind moving thru the trees like a giant "hush" - animals at play - birds singing - a loving comment - arms wrapped around you for a big bear hug - a wet kiss from a toddler - or a romantic one from your significant other.  So many treasures are passed by - when not living in the moment.

Another quote that I just recently came across sums this up perfectly

"If Past to Future is a on horizontal line, the present moment is not in time - it is a vertical movement - transcending time." - Osho

Transcend time, and live in YOUR moments today.  : )



p.s....no more quarantine!!  99.9% better today.  It's really a miracle compared to how I felt yesterday!  I was about to take myself out back and put myself down! lol!!  : )

No comments: