About Me

My photo
I love expressing heart-felt and inspired words that come unseen at times, yet powerful and profound within.
Enlightenment, in between the lines.

As you will find, I truly believe in the divine power of Gratitude. And how, by that power, it can change lives.

This journey of blogging has been an adventure!
And I'm so glad you stopped by for a quick visit : )

Saturday, July 10, 2010

~ Habits ~


"If your habits aren't changing you -
you need to change your habits"

This post is for ME today - unfortunately! ... Sometimes I need a little reminder - and this quote is a nice little kick in the behind for me!  It "magically" appeared in my brain a few years ago, and pops up now and again out of the blue when I need it ... I guess.  Hmmmmm ... how would my brain know that I needed this today?!!!  Darn!

I have an awesome little book that is titled: "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff."  And in it is a chapter titled: "Remember You Become What You Practice Most."  I just skimmed thru - after having the before-mentioned quote rambling on in my brain as I was awoke this morning.

It mentions that whatever you practice most is what you will become.  If you are in the habit of being uptight whenever life isn't quite right, insisting on being right all the time, allowing your thinking to snowball in response to adversity, or acting like life is an emergency - then - unfortunately, your life will be a reflection of this type of practice because in a sense, you have practiced being frustrated.

Likewise, however, you can CHOOSE to bring forth in yourself qualities of compassion, patience, kindness, humility, and peace - again, through what you practice. 
"Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanant" as is quoted in the movie "Forever Strong."

The book goes on to say that this isn't to suggest that you make your entire life into a great big overwhelming "can't do" project - only that it's immensely helpful to become conscious of your own habits, both internal and external.  Where is your attention?  How do you spend your time?

The reasons I believe this thought - uninvited - entered into my mind this morning, is because I have a terrible habit of procrastinating.  And justify it by having "too many options" available in my life that take my focus away and let too many things "get in the way" of what I really should be doing!

So - today ... I'm going to begin changing one habit.  And then tomorrow - another.  One blade at a time - step by step.  Another thought that just entered my mind is:  "If the grass looks greener on the other side - it's time to water YOUR OWN!" 
This is my purpose for today and if you - the reader - have related to any of this post today, I challenge you to do the same!  Sometimes a little kick in the pants is what we need - yes? : )

Happy changing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post, Dear Cuz - I inherited a book from Jack by that same author... "You Can Be Happy No Matter What" - it talks a lot about our thought processes, and how they form our perception of reality... but that our thoughts are what they are... not reality, necessarily, etc. And it talks a lot about being "in the moment," and that's where peace and happiness truly are... and where our creative energy truly thrives... this would be an awesome discussion point... :) Luv ya tonz!!