About Me

My photo
I love expressing heart-felt and inspired words that come unseen at times, yet powerful and profound within.
Enlightenment, in between the lines.

As you will find, I truly believe in the divine power of Gratitude. And how, by that power, it can change lives.

This journey of blogging has been an adventure!
And I'm so glad you stopped by for a quick visit : )

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

~ Perfection ~


"Perfection = Doing YOUR very best ....
not someone else's."

That quote, just happened to create itself one day at the bench of another one of life's lessons - amidst piano lessons - right there in front of the piano keys with one of my students who is an absolute perfectionist. After many attempts at convincing her that piano lesson's is just that - a lesson, learning something that also allows for mistakes - this quote jumped right out of my mouth at the "perfect" moment and lifted what seemed, a life's load of burdens off of her shoulders. After which, she played her piece flawlessly.

I've felt thru much of my life, this pressure of so-called perfection. As a mother, CEO of my household, wife, daughter, sister, friend ... the list goes one. Yet it is I who creates this perception in my mind of perfection and how everything should be - and at times according to how perfect someone else's life seems, with their perfect amazing talents and abilities. It wasn't until just a few years ago - and with this "God Wink" of a quote playing its way into my life inspired at the piano keys, that I realized - not everything has to be perfect in the sense that I had conditioned myself to believe. It is what it is - after - I've done all that I can......
Load lifted .... ahhhhhh .... the pressure lightened, such joyful release.

Our son shared with us last night, just how stressed he is, feeling that he has to be "perfect" in all he does, and feels the pressure of criticism if he doesn't live up to whatever standard of perfection the world, and even us as his parents, have set for him.
Grades, school, sports, hobbies - everything. If my son is feeling like this - how many more teenagers are feeling the same way?
At times I think that we (parents in general) put so much pressure on perfection - especially with our kids, spouses ... whoever - that in reality the "ability" of that concept, only lies within the individual himself of what he can actually do when all is said and done.

This quote, inspires me to be a little more gentle with my expectations. There is already enough pressure in the world as it is, and the last thing I want to do is fuel the fire of stress that is already constantly burning at every turn it seems. Instead, fueling with love, positive encouragement and sincere understanding will hopefully teach that doing the best they can - not someone else's - is their own definition of perfect and truly a rewarded blessing of joy. Having that load lightened will allow wings to spread for greater flight, soaring beyond one's potential.

After all - if we were perfect we'd either be walking on water or "twinkled in an eye" up to the heaven's. And I know for darn sure that neither of those things will be happening to me anytime soon.

May you have a "perfect" day! : )

No comments: