About Me

My photo
I love expressing heart-felt and inspired words that come unseen at times, yet powerful and profound within.
Enlightenment, in between the lines.

As you will find, I truly believe in the divine power of Gratitude. And how, by that power, it can change lives.

This journey of blogging has been an adventure!
And I'm so glad you stopped by for a quick visit : )

Thursday, February 4, 2010

~ Hero ~


Hero: an object of extreme admiration and devotion.


Ever since I was a little girl, I've always had a hero in my life of some sort. Someone to look up to, to follow their example. Someone beautiful, talented, charming, classy. A good cook, inspirational, spiritual. Athletic, adventurous, brave. Gentle, compassionate, loving. Many of these hero's have been in my life as I've grown and matured. They have also changed through the years as I have, yet a part of them will always be etched with their heartprints upon my soul. Of course my mother is, and has been one of my hero's and continues to be and will be forever. However, there is one hero in my life right at this moment that truly inspires me to be better, and that is my 93 1/2 year old grandfather ... a.k.a. "Grandad!" : )

One of my fondest memories of Grandad, was going on one of the many fishing trips he would take me (as well as the other grandkids on). We would leave before any sign of dawn, because Grandad "knew" what time the fish would be out, just waiting to be caught. And 5:00 am for a young girl was quite early. He had every single lure, float, weight imaginable. Every single color of bait and every flavor. He always had a container of dirt with "fresh" worms in his refrigerator, and was a pro at getting them on the hook!  He had many spools of various fishing lines depending on the weight of the fish waiting to be caught (he was always hopeful on catching "Walter" ... the grand-daddy of them all). His tackle box held every tool conceivable, and he had more than one. He always sported his fishing vest and hat, which was also covered with flies he had recently purchased or tied himself. He definitely was - and still is - a prepared fisherman.

Well, on this imparticular fishing adventure, it was around mid-afternoon as we were heading out on foot to another location. Part of the trail was covered with hundreds of rocks and I'm not talking little rocks - these were cantelope - watermelon sized boulders to traverse over and around, holding our poles and gear with the upmost coordination possible. Well, I was doing pretty well until I slipped on one of the rocks and the next thing I knew I was flat on my face. Not only that, but an extra surprise was about to be discovered. While holding my pole with one hand and the fishing line with the other ... (WITH the hook on the end of the line) - my hand had slipped down the line during my fall, hooking the inside webbed part of my hand! The hook went clear thru one end and out the other and didn't budge. The thing was in there to stay.

I was pretty grossed out at the sight of the hook anchored in and poking through my flesh. But became completely terrified when Grandad announced that he was going to have to take me to the nearest hospital in town to have it removed. I started crying and begged him with all my young girl heart to not take me. I had the most extreme fear needles out of anyone I've ever known.  I pleaded with Grandad that he take it out. I mean after all, he had the tool box with all of the tools we needed. And the skills and knowledge of having served as a doctor in the Military - not to mention having removed hooks from the hundreds of fish he had caught in his life. How much different could this be?!!
He considered it for a moment and I'm sure my total panic, fear and uncontrollable tears pulled at his heart. He opened up one of his tackle boxes, pulled out some special cutters. Cut each end of the hook off, and then retreived some tweezers and tugged, pulled, and twisted the rest of it out. I was so relieved and gave him the biggest hug of all time. He cleaned it all up and bandaged my hand.  I didn't care about the painful throbbing my hand was experiencing - Grandad took care of everything and did it for me!

This amazing man, walks on his treadmill every day for 1/2 hour. Then works out with weights on the weight machine as you can hear it repeatedly go: clinck .... clinck .... clinck. He cooks his own meals - breakfast and lunch. Then joins my mom and dad for dinner. He takes care of himself on his own (mom helps out with the laundry), bakes his own bread and ALWAYS has a tub of "Burnt-Almond Fudge Ice Cream" in his freezer to share with anyone who loves ice cream as much as he does!! He reads a lot, enjoys music, LOVES having his family - especially the grandkids around - and me, his "number -1" (first born grandchild) as I'm known when he makes introductions. : ) I've learned so much at his feet with his keen sense of memory as he recalls so many stories of his lifetime.  At his 90th birthday party celebration he announced that since he made 90 that his next goal is 95 ... "95 looks pretty good!"  He achieved a Master's degree, served his country with honors, and has and still serves his church.
His example of love and adoration for his "beautiful bride" far surpasses all.  And it is she who patiently waits in the heavens with open arms for him to join her some day.  He constantly has a smile that lights up his face and a twinkle in his eye ... still - after all these years.  All of these things added up, make quite a man ... but the one thing that I admire most about him that makes him a hero - my hero - is his attitude. He is ALWAYS positive. He is always having a "great day!" He is always up to going on a drive, even if it's only an errand to the bank with my mom ... "Sure I'll go - Would love to!" is always his reply. He always has open arms to give the biggest bear hugs with, and welcomes anyone as family. And it's not just his positive words - but "how" he talks - his upbeat tone, always.

I told him at Christmas time that he was my hero. He asked: "Now why would I be something like that?" I answered: "Because Grandad. Look at you!! You are a stud! You are in better shape than I am, and you are always positive - no matter what!" His reply: "Well, I believe in that. Being positive is the best thing anyone can do!" My love grew even more for this amazing man right at that moment. He has been through so much in his life and has often struggled with his health in the past, but I truly believe that being positive is one of the #1 reasons he is still alive, breathing and blessing so many lives to this day.

I still have the scar on my hand from that hook.  And not only does it remind me of all the times spent with Grandad, but what he did for me that day as he became one of my beloved hero's.

Who is your hero? What qualities and attributes have they shown you by their extraordinary example that encourages you to be a better person? Tell them today. Share why they are. Bless their life as they have blessed you.

This quote sums up Grandad perfectly:

"A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself."

This is Grandad. And if you ever have the opportunity to cross his path - your life will be blessed for the richer, now and into the eternities.

No comments: